Lutheran Congregations 40th Anniversary
|The St. Peter's Evangelical
Lutheran Congregation will celebrate its fortieth anniversary Sunday,
Next Sunday the Members of St. Peter's church will, with members of neighboring Lutheran churches, gather at the local church to commemorate the organizing of the local congregation forty years ago. It will be a day of rejoicing and jubilee. Former pastors will be present and have a part in the services. The service in the forenoon begins at 10:00 a.m. with pastor E. F. Lorenz of St. Matthew's Lutheran church of Chicago, Illinois, delivering the sermon. The service in the afternoon will begin at 2:00 p.m. with pastor Paul Walther of Grace Lutheran church of Ormsby delivering the sermon. A pot luck dinner will be served at noon.
Congregation Organized in 1910
St. Peter's congregation was oganized November 3, 1910. The charter members were: A. W. Petrich, F.C. Wendt, R.C. Pahl, A.F. Muske, August Muske, August Kietzer and Paul Malzahn.
Rev. H. Reinhardt of Amboy was called as pastor of the dual charge of Amboy and Vernon Center. He was installed as pastor November 20, 1910 and served until June 2, 1918. The first few years after the organization of the congregation, the services were conducted in Petrich's hall on main street.
The congregation voted to build a church on March 20, 1914 and the corner stone was laid on July 2, of that summer.
On June 6, 1915, the building was dedicated. Rev. Randt, vice president of the Synod at the time, residing at St. Paul and the Rev. G. Schmidt of Blue Earth, were thespeakers for the dedicatory
In the year 1918, the congreation resolved to call a resident pastor. A call was extended to Rev. Paul Walther and subsequently accepted by him. He was installed June 2, 1918 and served as pastor of the congregation until January 29, 1922. At the present time he is serving the congregation at Ormsby.
After a vacancy of a few months, the congregation extended a call to Rev. P. Jank and he assumed the pastorate July 1, 1922. His ministry was terminated during the fall of 1926 when he received a call to the congregatin at Emerald, Wisconsin. On November 30, 1926, he bade farewell to thjis congregation. At present he is serving in the congregation at Fairchild, Wisconsin.
On January 3, 1927, the Rev. H.F. Rinehardt of Amboy was called to serve this congregation toether with the charge at Amboy. He served until the spring of 1934. Pastor Reinhardt installed his successor the Rev. E. F. Lorenz.H served the congregation until August 27, 1940 when he accepted a call to St. Matthew's church at Chicago, Illinois.
After a vacancy of a few months, the church aaled Rev. L.H. Ruthenback who accepted and was installed by Rev. Martin Wiersig of Winnebago on January 5, 1947. His ministry was terminated on May 1, 1949 when he accepted a call to Resurrection Lutheran church at St. Paul.
On June 5, 1949, Rev. D.W. Lau of Amboy installed Rev. Arnold Vehling, the present pastor.
From a mere handful of members, when the church was founded, the congregation has gwown to include 358 baptized members.
This page last updated:
|This site, the domain and the graphics used here were created by and are the property of "The Little Woman" . Nothing on this site can be duplicated in any way with out permission of the Webmaster. A message for such request can be left at the forum. No public funds have been used in the creation or maintenance of this site.|